Sunday, April 02, 2006

Start of Evenbrake Install

Next up is installing the supplemental braking system for RoadToad.
The system we selected is EvenBrake. The main portion of the system sits on the drivers floor and operates the brake pedal, like a robotic driver. We chose EvenBrake because it is a "proportional" towed car braking system. It automatically increases or decreases braking pressure in direct proportion to RoadAbode.
Of course, what's in the promo advertisements is a lot easier to install than real life. The ads state, "Setup in three Easy Steps", but to get to that point there's a lot of work involved.
The system also has an emergency breakaway switch, a brakeswitch relay sensor, and a monitor and transmitting unit - all which need to be wired in and have the wiring routed.
First up, according to the directions, was the breakaway switch. This needed to be installed in the front grill of RoadToad, and is a mechanical switch that is attached to RoadAbode by a safety cable. It needs a clear 'line of site' so that the pin would be pulled out in case somehow the towbar would separate from RoadToad. I found the perfect spot to mount the switch on the drivers side, but I had to partially remove the front fascia on the drivers side to do it. Once I was able to finagal my wrench in there to tighten it up, next I needed to route the sending cable to the firewall and into the passenger compartment. I was able to achieve this about as easily as wiring the brakelight wiring thru, using the 'coathanger' method.
Once I got the wire thru - I quit for the day.
The next portion makes me nervous - cutting the brake pedal switch wiring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home