Saturday, March 11, 2006

A Proper "Toad"

I started on the journey to make RoadToad a proper "Towed" for taking along behind RoadAbode. Took a few pictures to chronicle the install of the "baseplate" that the towbar attaches to.

First thing was to assess the tools needed. Not a problem, Only 6 bolts, and drilling a few 1/2" holes into the front framework of the car.
I purchased a drill bit to fit my drill. made sure I found my ratchet and correct socket sizes. Start at 9am on a Saturday, be done for lunch! The best laid plans of mice & men....
First, had to take off the front end of RoadToad - Instructions state there should be 10 plastic fasteners along the top edge of the front end, under the hood. Hmmm... only find two... 'good' omen...
The instructions were good, but were written for a newer model Honda Accord. Found the other screws, bolts and other facenteners, - only about a dozen total. Gave a good tug, front end is off!

So next on the list, use the base as a template and drill two holes. Glad I got that drill bit! But I look at where I need to drill - Whoo-hoo -the hole is already there!









However, the backing plate will not fit into the boxed in area of the frame... Re-read the directions - 10 times - Now I understand - I have to Drill thru the other side to mount the backing plate. One problem - the bit I bought is not long enought to go all the way thru. After visiting 2 different hardware stores, finally got the right length (another $25 spent)
Now, sisnce I don't have clamps large enough to hold the Bracket to the bumper frame, I have two options, have Amy hold it in place while I drill, or use the old favorite - Duct Tape - to hold it in place. I go for the latter.


Got the holes drilled - and then re-drilled - to 'finesse' the backing plate into the are it needed to fit.
next, need to drill two holes into the bumper frame to further attach the base plate. Drilling up (good thing I have the shorter drill bit) First hole - like a hot knife thru butter! second hole - takes a lot longer - seems drilling really dulled the bit (what it really ended up being was my 'angle of attack' was off. Another hour gone....
Last two holes to drill - right under the radiator! Have to attach brackets from the base to underneath the radiator. Problem is, the short drillbit is still too long.
Finally figured out - with a good bit of brainpower from Amy - to turn Roadtoad around, and drive up on blocks whould give me enough room to drill. This time the bit went thru easily - but stopped before the radiator (whew!) placed all the bolts correctly, tightened them up and used my new Torque wrench ( another $10) to make sure they were all tightened to 'manufacturers specs'
Time - 9 to 5 - with a long lunch break and a trip or two to get 'stuff' and help Amy take some things to the dump.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home